There is no way I just typed those numbers .... 36 months/3 years. It seems like yesterday that we brought our tiny little bundle of joy home from the hospital on Easter Sunday. I still remember exactly how I felt - I was scared to death. Weak in the knees, literally. The thought that she belonged to us, little ole us, was scary - we were now in charge of a human. We took care of our first-borns, Cain and Emma, so well and we just knew we were ready for our first-born human. Then we got home and it was scary, exciting, joyful and mind-boggling all at the same time.
That sweet little baby girl born at 10:24 p.m. on Thursday, April 9, 2009 is now every single bit of a three-year-old. Man how time flies. I know I say it often, everyone does, but honestly, nothing has moved faster in my life than time once we added Catherine Ellis to our family. The days are too fast, even the not so joyful ones. David and I feel like the Allstate Insurance commercial will be us all too soon - the one where the Dad is leaning in the passenger car window and talking to his thee-year-old daughter who is sitting behind the steering wheel. He's telling her to be careful, keep her eyes on the road and to let him know when she gets safely to her destination, but not while she's driving. Then he looks back at her again and she's 16 years-old backing out of the driveway. That will be us before we know it and we try to keep perspective and remind ourselves that every single moment is precious. Even those times like tonight when she pitched a horrendous fit in Home Depot with her Daddy and made him look like he had kidnapped her (if you were there, yes that was our child and we're sorry). I didn't witness this, but knew immediately when I heard the door unlock and David say "go on, let's go to your room" and no running, loud hellos from Catherine Ellis that the trip didn't go well. However, we'll take it. Even her stubborn, independent and strong-willed little self when she pitches those fits, we'll take her all day every day. We love her so much!
So, what is our fiercely independent and strong-willed three-year-old up to these days:
- You are 100% potty trained! Have been for several months now, but I feel good about announcing it to the world now. We're so proud!
- STRONG-WILLED! There is not a font big enough to show how strong-willed you are about everything. From shoes, to baths to what you might eat for a meal. I am certainly paying for my raising. I feel the need to apologize to my sweet mother every time your strong-will comes shining through.
- You have curly hair! I think Mommy is more delighted than anyone about this - it's super duper cute.
- You're long and lean - no more chubby baby cheeks and no more round, plump belly. You're wearing 2T and some 3T now (they are still a bit big).
- You like your new school - you've been there two months now and seem to have tranistioned well. There are still some mornings you don't want Mommy to leave, but that's normal.
- you sleep well at night - 8:00 p.m. until 7:15 a.m. and you nap when you are home. School is a different story for your naps.
- You always order "chicken and fries" no matter where we might be eating out. That and a to-go cup of water. You insist on ordering for yourself.
- You are strong - you can pick Caroline up, however, it's not what she prefers.
- You love to sing and clap - our morning and afternoon rides to and from school are fun (most of the time!). Caroline loves to clap with you - she thinks you're the funniest person she knows!
- You are polite and kind - you hug people, kiss them and make them feel special! It's a wonderful trait to have and will get you far in life.
- You are curious about everything - you ask Mommy and Daddy "Why?" at least 20 times a day .... you're absorbing everything around you.
- You are a monkey! We went to the park last night and you amazed me with how well you manuvered the jungle gym. You were jumping, swinging and flying high in the sky. You are fearless.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13